Thursday, October 21, 2010

Finding the Funny!

"What was the best part of your day?"  "What was the worst part of your day?" 

For years, I have asked my kids that question over dinner.  I am sure the idea was not an original one.  I am almost fairly certain that I got the idea from a movie a long time ago.  However it came about, it has given us some fun things to talk about.  The best days are when no one can think of the "worst" part of the day.  The tough days are when no one can think of anything good that happened that day. Something I was reading recently prompted me to change the question that I pose to the kids.  So, the other night, we were standing around the kitchen island eating the pizza that was just delivered  sitting down to a healthy home-cooked meal around the table and I asked them, "What was the funniest thing that happened today?"  I guess I was expecting too much from the first night under their new mandate.  The answers were all things that were obviously funny, like someone tripping over something, someone spilling something, accidental gas emissions....all good dinner conversation, no doubt, but not really what I was looking for.  So, I challenged the kids to find the funny in each day.

 If everyone is laughing, then that is not the funny I am looking for.  The funny I am looking for has to be sought out, it has to be reached for, it has to be conjured up and pieced together from small moments in their day that add up to something amusing.  The ability to do this is not only a skill and an art, it's a coping mechanism that I have found to be invaluable in life.  If I can teach my kids to find the humor in every day life, I truly believe I will have given them a great gift and left a wonderful legacy.

This blog is for me, and this blog is for them.  It's my record of the funny moments in my family's life.  It's a record of all of those moments about which I have always said, "I should write that down!"   I invite my friends to read along if you like and I hope that we entertain you.  But, even more importantly,  I hope we inspire you and your family to Find the Funny!

1 comment: